Tuesday, October 5, 2010

How do you write about something when you don't know where to start?

We are having a reunion. We being Sue and Vicky and Scoti and Janet and me. It's been 40 years since we've all been together. I'm having trouble imagining this group of senior women sitting around a table when none of us are young anymore. And yet, we've started corresponding by email and apparently all still like each other.

I guess my confusion comes from the memory of all of us in high school being boy crazy and wondering what the future would bring. The future has come and gone, we've all gone our own ways. This reunion comes out of the blue and with it, all the insecurities that I had way back when. I find it interesting that those feelings are still there although I haven't felt that way in a very long time.

What ties us together? If has to be more than just being friends in high school. I think that it's because these people know the real me. They know the person I was before all the layers of growing up obscured the purer soul that I was as a kid. For I really believe that none of us change deep down inside. Forty years later, we are going to get together. While we have aged and formed different opinions, we are not meeting those strangers who have changed so much through the years but the ones we knew so long ago.

That is the draw of a reunion. And now that I have written this all down, I know what I want to write about. All I have to do is come up with a title for Helium. That's even harder than trying to figure out what to write. They always reject my titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment