Thursday, December 11, 2014

God is not dead nor doth he sleep - Powerful lyrics from "I heard the bells on Christmas Day"

Christmas music is very much a part of my soul. "I heard the Bells on Christmas Day" is my favorite. I have written several pages on Christmas Carols and since this is not self-promotion on my part, the pages are listed at the bottom but they are not required reading.

However, I want to share the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Ed Hermanns telling of the story behind Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem. It is about the human spirit and the most powerful of all the songs that are sung at Christmas. If nothing else, watch the video which is excellent.




If you are so inclined, you can also listen to the Johnny Cash and June Carter version. It is my favorite.



Besides, I heard the bells on Christmas Day  this is the list of my other pages on Christmas music.

Deck the Halls - My way of explaining the lyrics to my child. Do you know what "Don we now our gay apparel" means?
Silent Night - Simple tune, simple melody.
Away in the Manger - Generally the first carol that kids learn.
A Soalin' by Peter, Paul, and Mary - The story behind the song and some of my other favorite Peter, Paul, and Mary tunes.
Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy - An unlikely duet with two very different people, David Bowie and Bing Crosby.
Christmas with the Beach Boys - I'm a California girl and the Beach Boys were very much part of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment